banner

Local Headlines

A dog was rescued from a house fire in Danbury early this morning.  Firefighters responded to Fleetwood Drive around 4:45am Sunday and found a single family house with flames running up the side of the structure. 

 

Assistant Chief Mark Omasta says firefighters were able to limit damage to the basement and exterior wall.  The rest of the house was heavily smoke damaged.

 

(Photos: Danbury Fire Dept., Mark Omasta)

 

The family of five, along with one of their two small dogs, made it out of the house when their smoke detectors sounded.  With the temperature in the single digits, Omasta says firefighters fought the blaze and began searching the house for the Shih Tzu dog.  Within minutes, Firefighter Jason Biroscak found the dog under a couch, and removed her to a nearby ambulance.  Oxygen was administered and the dog appeared to be fine.

 

 

Omasta says there was an added challenge to their response because a car was parked in front of the nearest fire hydrant. 

 

The Danbury Fire Department is reminding residents check the batteries in all smoke and carbon monoxide detectors when changing the clocks for Daylight Saving Time.  Fire officials are also reminding drivers not to park in front of fire hydrants.

 

 

The American Red Cross is assisting the family with temporary housing. The Danbury Fire Marshals Office is conducting the fire investigation, and there were no injuries.

On Air Now
Dave Ramsey
Local Headlines