The Mahopac Volunteer Fire Department is celebrating its 100th anniversary this year. The Department collected solicitations last month for a 100th Anniversary Journal being published in July. Earlier this month, they were recognized by the New York General Assembly. State Senator Greg Ball issued a resolution commemorating the century of service.
The Mahopac Volunteer Fire Department was established in the fall of 1914, after numerous fires caused great concern among the residents of the community.
In January 1915, the department leased the second floor of the railroad station and converted a donated Ford automobile into a fire-fighting vehicle. During the Great Depression, due in great parts to the selfless efforts and donations of summer vacationers and the citizens of Mahopac. During World War II, the Mahopac Volunteer Fire Department's members bravely served their country as members of the United States Armed Forces.
A new state-of-the-art firehouse was completed in 2007, and dedicated to all members, past, present and future who have devoted their lives to protect the residents of Mahopac, over the past 100 years. After World War II, a new four bay colonial style firehouse was built on Croton Falls Road which serves the Department today.
Ball says volunteer fire departments are an integral part of community protection.
As Mahopac changed from a tourist area to a bedroom community, the Mahopac Volunteer Fire Department continued to fight blazes which destroyed all the old hotels in the area. Today, it continues to update its skills and expertise, while replacing older apparatus with new modern firefighting rigs.