The Ridgefield Police Department is scheduled for an on-site assessment today as part of the Department's effort to achieve Tier III re-accreditation. The on-site visit is to verify that the Ridgefield Police Department is continuing to meet professional standards.
The assessment is administered by the Police Officer Standards and Training Council. Tier III consists of 116 standards and is meant to help police departments operate efficiently and uniformly to reduce exposure to civil liability and provide excellent service delivery.
Agency members and the community can submit comments as part of the assessment. Comments can be mailed to William E. Tanner, III, POSTC Accreditation Division at 285 Preston Ave. Meriden, Connecticut 06450, by telephone at 203-427-2602, by fax at 203-238-6643 or by email Accreditation.Compliance@c
Specifically, the Standards allow agencies to meet the following goals:
• Strengthen crime prevention and control capabilities;
• Formalize essential management procedures;
• Establish fair and non-discriminatory personnel practices;
• Improve service delivery;
• Solidify interagency cooperation and coordination; and
• Boost citizen and staff confidence in the agency.