Local Headlines

The state Department of Public Health is cautioning residents without power to take precautions to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning.  Generators should be used properly, placed at least 20 feet from the house and never inside the home, enclosed porch or attached garage.


Improper use of portable generators have caused more than half of CO poisonings in Connecticut. 


Opening windows and doors, and operating fans is not sufficient to prevent buildup of CO in a home. Use of charcoal and gas grills or camping stoves should be done outdoors only. 


CO is an invisible, odorless gas that can cause loss of consciousness and death. The symptoms of CO poisoning can mimic those of the flu, including headache, fatigue, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, chest pain, confusion, or loss of consciousness. People who are sleeping or unconscious can die from CO poisoning before they exhibit any symptoms.