Listeners Club

Forgot Password

Not a Member? Sign up here!


Local Headlines

Chimney fire prompts safety reminder from New Fairfield firefighters

A chimney fire has prompted a safety reminder from the New Fairfield Volunteer Fire Department.  Firefighters responded to a Possum Drive home on Monday night and found embers and smoke coming from the chimney. 

Firefighters noticed a blockage about 8 feet from the top of the chimney and that the flue had partially closed.  The fire had not spread from the chimney and crews were able to extinguish the flames and remove the blockage.

No injuries were reported. 

Fire officials stressed the importance of completing fireplace and woodstove maintenance at the start of heating season to ensure everything is in safe, working order.  Firefighters also recommend burning only dry, well-seasoned, hardwood to reduce creosote accumulation, and be sure to check the combustion chamber for damage or corrosion to the vent before using.

On Air Now

Rich Valdes

Local Headlines