A Monroe teen has been recognized during this National Fire Prevention Week for saving two children she was babysitting for from a house fire.
Stepney Fire Department recognized Olivia Cross last night for her actions on April 27th. Shortly after putting the two children to bed, Olivia discovered a fire spreading rapidly on the back deck of the Sheep Meadow Road house. She immediately awoke the children, calmly got them out of the house and then called 911. The fire extended into the kitchen, displacing the family.
The Monroe Volunteer Firefighters presented Olivia an award for recognizing the hazard and taking quick action.