A box of food on top of a cooktop stove caused smoky conditions inside a New Fairfield home over the weekend. The Volunteer Fire Department was dispatched to Curtis Avenue and reported no smoke our fire outside. Firefighters went inside and could smell a burning odor from an open basement door. They found a plume of smoke coming up the stairs. Responders rushed into basement to find a box of food on fire. The box was taken outside and no injuries were reported. The fire department reminded residents to be careful bringing groceries home and putting items on a cooktop stove--accidentally hitting the power knob on for burner.