Bethel & Stony Hill volunteer firefighters have responded to two chimney fires since Halloween. Anyone planning on using a fireplace or wood stove this season is asked to follow some safety steps to prevent a fire. Department members asked that people have the chimney cleaned by a professional prior to using. Use a metal bucket to dispose of ashes, because ashes can retain heat and embers for several days. They should never be disposed of in a paper or plastic bag or container. Residents should be sure smoke detectors are less than 10 years old and are working. They are the number one defense in alerting occupants to a fire.