Listeners Club

Forgot Password

Not a Member? Sign up here!


Local Headlines

New Fairfield firefighters extinguish chimney fire

New Fairfield Volunteer Fire Department responded to a report of a chimney fire Friday night.  The fire on Pine Hill Road was brought under control quickly.  Anyone using a fireplace and chimney is urged to be aware of fire prevention tips including making sure the wood is seasoned and a hardwood because a few logs of greenwood can build creosote thick enough to start a chimney fire.  Creosote is highly flammable and formed when vapor from wet wood mixes with gases and condenses.  A professional chimney sweep should inspect the chimney at least annually, but more frequently if the fireplace is lit regularly. Chimney professionals say that a ¼in thickness of creosote means a chimney can burst into flames any minute and should be removed.

On Air Now

Markley van Camp Robbins

Local Headlines