Newtown Firefighters responded to a Berkshire Road daycare center after an odor of gas was detected in the building around 8am Friday.
Sandy Hook Fire Chief Bill Halsted says the children in the building were evacuated from the little Explorers of Newtown Day Care Center, but it was as more were arriving. They sat in cars with their families while firefighters and the gas company investigated.
The gas had been shut off for a time. Suburban Gas helped firefighters fix the propane gas meter. Halsted says children were then allowed back in.