There were some fires over the weekend in the Greater Danbury area.
On Friday afternoon, Ridgefield firefighters received a call of a school bus that appeared to be smoking heavily near the intersection of George Washington Highway and Old Mill Road. The children had been evacuated. It turned out to be a brake fire, which the driver put out with an extinguisher.
Brookfield firefighters responded to Obtuse Road South on a report of a brush fire late Friday night. Firefighters worked for 90 minutes to put out the deep seated mulch fire. They had the help of a backhoe from the Brookfield Public Works Department.
On Saturday, New Fairfield firefighters responded to an electrical fire. A homeowner was using a space heater to take the chill out of the house, but it was plugged into a power strip. Fire officials cautioned people against that, saying the device must be used on its own plug.