Listeners Club

Forgot Password

Not a Member? Sign up here!

banner

Local Headlines

Sherman Volunteer Fire Department gets new apparatus

The Sherman Volunteer Fire Department has taken delivery of a new apparatus.  Tanker 1 is a 3,000 gallon tanker-fire truck equipped with a 1,250 gallon per minute fire pump.  This replaces the Sherman Department's current tanker, which has reached the end of its service life.   In rural communities, such as Sherman, with no municipal water distribution systems, Department officials say the tanker is the single most critical piece of fire protection apparatus.   This truck allows firefighters to haul large quantities of water to the scene of a fire, when it is urgently needed.   This new truck has a more powerful motor suited for Sherman’s steep hills, among other improvements.  The  old tanker had minimal firefighting capacity beyond carrying water, where as this one also has pre-connected hoses, improved scene lighting, and ability to carry additional equipment.  All capital expenditure requests are funded 80%  through the town’s capital fund and the remaining 20% through the volunteer department's fundraising efforts.

On Air Now

Jim Bohannon

Local Headlines