During a ceremony in Weston Monday morning, Governor Dannel Malloy, advocates and state lawmakers marked the enactment of "An Act Concerning the Storage and Administration of Epinephrine at Public Schools''. The bill was signed into law last month and allows certain school employees to administer emergency first aid medication to children or teenagers who appear to be experiencing severe allergic reactions, even if an allergy wasn't previously documented.
The ceremony was held at Weston High School. The bill was co-sponsored by Redding Representative John Shaban and Cecilia Buck-Taylor of New Milford among others.
The Connecticut Conference of Municipalities submitted testimony against the bill saying there are concerns about potential liability exposure on school personnel and school districts from well-intentioned, but improperly administered medicine. A substitute nurse from Westport also submitted testimony, but hers was in favor of the bill and cited her son's allergic reactions.