Listeners Club

Forgot Password

Not a Member? Sign up here!


Local Headlines

Saw Mill Rd in New Fairfield closed for bridge replacement

Starting today, Saw Mill Road in New Fairfield will be closed for a bridge replacement project.  In 2013, the bridge was identified by state and federal transportation officials as “functionally obsolete” and Connecticut required full replacement.

Part of the reason why the road requires such a long closure is because the utility lines that run above the bridge as well as underground lines must be temporarily relocated. The Fire Department’s dry hydrant located adjacent to the bridge must also be removed during construction and reassembled afterward. 

The bridge is 90-years old.  The State and Federal governments have agreed to fund 80% of the cost of replacing the bridge, with the Town funding the remaining 20%.

The current bridge is an intermediate size steel arch bridge with stone faced concrete abutments and wing walls which must be dismantled. Water flow will be diverted while the new bridge is under construction. This preparatory work will take approximately 1 month. Construction of 4 abutments will take approximately 3 months.  Utility work and road reconstruction will take approximately 2.5 months. The remaining work will include constructing the approaches to the bridge, paving and landscaping which will take approximately 2 weeks.