Danbury Police are investigating a threat sent as a text-to-911 notification Friday that someone was going to bring a gun to the high school. Police on Friday guarded the school at dismissal time. Police do not believe the threat is credible, and are continuing to investigate.
The threat, coupled with a series of brawls has led to a doubling of the officers being stationed at the school.
Danbury Police officials are providing a few more details about the fights. Chief Patrick Ridenhour told the Newstimes that 8 to 12 students, most female, were issued juvenile summonses for breach of peace last week. One student was charged with assault.
There are a number of theories reportedly being investigated for the fights including neighborhood disputes, romantic jealousies and fallout from the death of a Danbury High School student this month from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. The 18-year old's death was ruled a suicide by the state medical examiner’s office.
A series of Snapchat videos have been circulating among students of fights, not necessarily at DHS. Replying to Facebook comments, Mayor Mark Boughton said the fights sprang from an incident outside of school with someone who did not go to Danbury High.