Remington Arms is offering millions to settle a lawsuit filed by nine families affected by the shooting at Sandy Hook School. Court documents filed yesterday show the gun manufacturer is offering $3.6 million dollars to each family involved in the suit for a total of $33-million. Remington argues that the legal firearm was legally distributed and sold and they are not responsible for the deaths on 12/14.
An attorney representing the families, Josh Koskoff, issued a statement saying that the families will consider their next steps. He says this case has been about preventing the next Sandy Hook, showing banks and insurers that companies that sell assault weapons to civilians are fraught with financial risk. He says financial institutions like JP Morgan and Franklin Square learned that lesson when Remington went bankrupt. He maintains that promoting the use of AR-15s as weapons of war to civilians is indefensible.
One of the plaintiffs, Nicole Hockley, whose 6-year-old son Dylan died in the shooting, said Wednesday that the families need to talk with their lawyers about the settlement offers and declined further comment.
In their request to dismiss the lawsuit, Remington argued there were no facts presented to establish that Remington’s marketing had anything to do with the shooting.
Remington filed for bankruptcy last year for the second time in two years. Its assets were later sold off to several companies.