Listeners Club

Forgot Password

Not a Member? Sign up here!

banner

Local Headlines

Fire Department warns residents not to throw wrapping paper in fire

New Fairfield Volunteer Fire Department is warning people as they clean up from Christmas presents this year not to throw wrapping paper in the fire.  Wrapping paper is made of chemical compounds that color the paper and commonly contain high levels of toxic metal. When burned, the chemicals react with the paper, causing hazardous gases to be released.  Light items like pine needles and paper can rise up the flue while aflame leading to flue fires as well as roof and yard fires when flames escape the chimney. The only thing that should go into a fireplace is seasoned firewood. Gas fireplaces are designed to only burn gas. Some gas fireplaces don’t require a chimney, so burning paper will release smoke and particle pollution directly into the house.

On Air Now

Jim Bohannon

Local Headlines