This is National Teen Driver Safety Week.
There are only three high schools in Connecticut participating in a competition of more than 3,500 schools across the country. Danbury is among those working to promote safe driving and public awareness of the dangers of reckless and distracted driving.
The Celebrate My Drive contest has incentive for adults and the students. A $100,000 prize for the school and a concert for the kids.
Senior Kate Shannon says they are going around at lunch with iPads asking students to vote and reminding them to have family vote. They've also reached out to the sports teams and other clubs to get the word out. There will be two wrecked cars, donated from a junk yard, on display to drive home the point. One will be at the High School and one will be on display by Fast Freddies on Newtown Road.
(DHS students Nicholas Goetz, Nicholas Mortara, Mayor Mark Boughton, DHS Principal Gary Bocaccio, students Kathryn Shannon, Najmah James and Danielle Biele)
Senior Nicholas Mortara says the past few years have held too many bad accidents involving speeding, cell phone use and reckless driving noting that many students were affected by the death of 17-year old Christopher Reyes last year in a crash.
(DHS students Nicholas Mortara, Nicholas Goetz, Danielle Biele)
Voting for DHS can be done at by entering an email address, verifying that you are over 14 and selecting Danbury, CT. One vote per person per day through October 26.