Local Headlines

Elevated levels of carbon monoxide were found in a Sherman home yesterday morning when firefighters responded to a report of smoke in the house and an odor of gas.  Sherman Volunteer Fire Department arrived around 9:30am and determined that the smoke and CO were coming from a flue pipe that was separated from the furnace and the chimney. 

New Fairfield firefighters helped to ventilate the home using a high powered fan. 

The residents reported being woken up by the smoke detector around 2 am, but couldn't see a fire and didn't get cell service so they decided not to call 911 and returned to sleep.   They woke up around 9am to a haze throughout the home and had black soot coming from their noses. 

All occupants were evaluated by EMS and declined transport to the hospital. 

Sherman Volunteer Fire Department is reminding residents to have their heating systems inspected annually prior to cold weather. 

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that is a byproduct of combustion and high levels within a house can have deadly consequences.  Whenever a CO detector sounds, Fire officials say residents should immediately evacuate and call 911, no matter the time of day, because it's not a condition that can wait until morning.  

On Air Now
Dave Rinelli
Local Headlines