Newtown officials say the 911 recordings from the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School last year will be released to the public tomorrow afternoon.
A Connecticut Superior Court judge ruled last week that the 911 tapes should be released to The Associated Press after a lengthy fight over the records, which investigators have withheld. The lead investigator of the shooting, Danbury State's Attorney Stephen Sedensky, raised several arguments to shield the recordings. The arguments were rejected first by Connecticut's Freedom of Information Commission, which ruled in favor of the AP in September, and then the judge who ordered their release.
Sedensky said in a statement Monday that he would not appeal the judge's ruling after consulting with the Chief State's Attorney and Newtown's Attorney.
Superior Court Judge Eliot Prescott said last week delaying the release of the audio recordings, particularly where the legal justification to keep them confidential is lacking, only serves to fuel speculation about and undermine confidence in law enforcement officials.
The AP has sought the recordings in part to examine the police response.